The 7 Things You Should Know Before You Choose an Implant Dentist
1. Ask the implant dentist how many implants he’s placed in the past 6 months
Implant Dentistry is a highly skilled discipline and should be maintained through practice. As most dentist offer a range of treatments, it’s important to check that the dentist regularly places dental implants to ensure you are getting the best possible treatment.
2. Ask the implant dentist if they have a dedicated sterilisation suite
As with all treatments, sterilisation is a must. That’s why it’s reassuring to know whether the implant clinic you choose has a dedicated staff member and room for sterilisation. This will ensure that every possible measure has been taken to prevent infection, keeping you safe and giving you the best possible care.
3. Ask the dentist if they offer a FREE aftercare service
It’s reassuring to know whether a member of the team is available to answer any questions you may have after your treatment. This will give you peace of mind knowing you are receiving the best possible care even after your implants have been fitted. Some clinics offer a 24 hour hotline number to patients and it’s worth asking if they offer this service as you may have a query in the middle of the night that just can’t wait.
4. Ask the implant dentist whether he has testimonials from happy patients
If the dentist can’t prove that he has happy patients then what’s to say that you will be happy with your treatment? This is a good way of showing what other patients say about the dentist, and also a good way of seeing if he has treated someone in a similar position to your own. Ask the dentist to show you signed, written letters or maybe even videos of grateful patients.
5. Ask the implant dentist if he’s had any dental related articles recently published
This is a good way to gauge whether the dentist is active in the dental community and up to date on the latest techniques. Some well respected publications include Implant Dentistry Today, Private Dentistry, The British Dental Journal, The Probe and The Hygienist magazine.
6. Ask the implant dentist what professional bodies he’s a member of
These can include:
- The British Dental Association
- The Association of Dental Implantology
- Society for the Advancement of Anaesthesia in Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
You should also ask what the implant dentist does to keep up to date with the latest developments in implantology. Ask whether he attends any dental conferences or even if he lectures at them himself! And Last But Not Least..
7. What can they do for you?
Don’t be shy, ask any other questions you want answered, no matter how trivial they may seem. The implant dentist and his team are there to give you your teeth back and you can’t show off that beautiful new smile unless you’re actually happy with your dental implants.
It may seem a little daunting, having to ask the dentist these questions, BUT… A good implant dentist would be happy to answer these questions..